Same Same, but different

 It's 2am and I'm in the international airport in Accra waiting to board into my first flight towards Italy. 

I can't even describe all the emotions that I'm feeling right now, I feel very sad of leaving my Ghanian family but also excited to meet my family and friends again. 

What I know for sure is that Ghana has a special place in my heart, and all the memories and all the people will always be with me wherever I'll be. Ghana leaves me with a lot of professional and personal skills, in this 9 months I explored a new culture, embracing any aspect of it, and I have pulled my self out of my confort zone, looking for opportunities to learn, especially at work. 

What I know for sure is that Ghana made me realize how strong my values are and how much I want to advocate for them and keep them as engine for my future choices. 

I think this collage represents my experience the best. Same pictures but a bit different, that's exactly how feel. The same Maria Andrea, but a bit different, and with a lot of enthusiasm in showing everybody what makes different from how I was and what Ghana, Tamale and GDCA gave me. 

In these last days of goodbyes I realized even more what I've built here, and therefore what I'm leaving. Funny enough, It made me happy, because I also realized that is something so strong that it will not finish here. The words people had for me made me aware that the sign they left in my life is the same sign I'm leaving in theirs. 

Ghanian people are very welcoming and always there to help no matter how much time it will require, this is a lesson I want to keep with me. Especially in the big European cities where I always have the feeling that people lives with the fear of wasting their time. Ghana gifted me a different perception of time and I am very grateful for it. In a society that runs, I want to take time, stop and look what's beside me and be ready to lend a hand.  

Tamale is a melting pot of culture and religions and I couldn't be happier than this in feeling a little bit of each of them in me. 

What's next? I have no idea and I'm happy with it. For now I want to bring Ghana home with me and then I'll see:)



Comments

Popular Posts