The rich culture of Ghana

My time in Kongo has come to an end as I am leaving in a couple of days. I’m feeling more sad than when I was leaving my home in the Netherlands. That is because I have created a new home here. A home with new people and new surroundings.  




The past few days we have been traveling in the south of Ghana. Truly experiencing the natural beauty of the country. We got a chance to visit the beautiful Kintampo waterfalls, surf at the Busua beach and visit the Cape Coast Castle. The south is also a bit colder than the north (maybe colder is not the right word, let's say less hot instead) so it has been a relief not waking up already sweating.  
While traveling we met a couple who have been traveling through all of Africa by car, visiting over 10 countries. After all those experiences, they say that so far Ghana has left the biggest impression on them, because of the people and culture. And I couldn’t agree more. Ghana’s culture is so rich. Rich in color, dancing, and tradition. When you pay close attention, almost everything revolves around tradition. Something that I find beautiful, it is the way they honour those that lived before you. And to make sure you never forget about your history.  



The traveling has made me realize something else; how much I have been missing some luxuries, that in the Western world are so normal to us. For example a hot shower, I never knew I could be so happy taking a nice warm shower after 3 months. Now that I am writing this, it is making me realize how privileged I am to say this.  
It is almost impossible to summarize 3 months of my life into one blog. I have learned so much, experienced so much of a new culture and I have also eaten so much TZ (Auntie is the best cook ever, but after eating TZ for dinner for 3 months I am excited to have some amazing Dutch potatoes)
It would be unfair to not mention the times whenI was feeling a little bit homesick. This is something I knew was going to happen, but it was at times like this when I was so happy to have 2 other volunteers around me to talk to. After talking to them I realized that I was not the only one experiencing these feelings. After talking to them I always felt better.  

My time in Kongo and this blog has come to an end. I am saying goodbye now, but I know it is not a definite goodbye. Because I will remember this experience forever. I will remember most of the women in the basket weavers and the shea butter group, their endless positivity and resilience. Definitely, I also hope to bring back and keep with me, more of the calmness, spontaneity, and positivity I have learned from the people I met here.  
 




Comments

Popular Posts